Friday, April 14, 2006
I just finished a little book written by a British journalist (From China with Love, A Long Road to Motherhood) who, with her husband, adopted two girls from China. She discusses her thoughts and feelings that she went through when adopting both girls. For the first, she was extremely excited and so looking forward to the whole experience, however for the second she was very apprehensive and not sure whether she wanted to go through with it at all. Nik and I attended an AdopTalk seminar a few weeks ago and the speakers touched on the issue of post adoption blues and the issue of not being quite so euphoric about adopting the second child. Apparently, it is something that they hear quite often from parents...feelings that they won't love the second child as much as the first. I'm sure that birth parents probably experience similar feelings. Obviously, the excitement for the arrival of the first child is heightened because it's a whole new experience, but once you've been through it you know about the dark side and perhaps become more focused on those issues.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment